OH MY GAWD! It begins with a boy. Still, an intriguing book! I enjoyed the characters and the ending - but there was 20 pages after the "ending" that just drug on and on. The characters are so well described by Ms Tartt, one could even compare her writing in some aspects to Dickens. This dragged it on too much for me. Nah, This Debut Romance Is a Steamy Success. Similarities to actua. Happily I corrected that over the last few weeks! A very interesting plot, and awesome development of characters...however I thought the book was too long. Throughout the book he's caught in a limbo-like situation somewhere between the privileged rich and the homeless. So, let's dive right in. The Goldfinch was the book to read last year, so I didn't read it. The scope, the shape, the palpable sense of longing--all haunting. The Goldfinch didn't let me down either. The Goldfinch is a brilliant story with memorable characters and most of the book is incredibly well done and fun to read. I suppose it all comes down to what you are willing to tolerate in a novel. But the scariness is visceral, a world that's like a dangerous and even fatal grid, an electrified fence. And these characters are SO well-developed. THIS IS NOT THE NOVEL, BUT A BOOK REVIEW. The scope, the shape, the palpable sense of longing--all haunting. It is a long, harrowing read but the descriptions, characters and plot carry you along. Read Matt Goldberg's The Goldfinch review; John Crowley's movie stars Ansel Elgort, Oakes Fegley, Jeffrey Wright, Nicole Kidman, and Luke Wilson. She sets up lighting, background noise, how the person is feeling (and how he thinks he should be feeling, and a literary example of that feeling...) to such a degree that, just when you are wondering if the book ever had an editor, things take a delicious turn. The characters were all drawn realistically and with all their flaws (with the possible exception of Hobie who was a lovable sweetheart!) The Goldfinch review: a dithering, arduous shredding of Donna Tartt's doorstep novel 2. Tartt seems reluctant to accept that her book is set in the 21st century- even the laptop is locked away in his Dad's bedroom so emails are sparse- so why not set it in 1962 or somewhere more plausible? The Goldfinch didn't let me down either. The characters were all drawn realistically and with all their flaws (with the possible exception of Hobie who was a lovable sweetheart!) Sometimes I wanted to praise it. As I read the reviews I am fascinated by the fact that I agree with aspects of many of them, whether they rate the book one, two, three, or even four stars. It's the story of young Theo whose mother dies in a terrorist explosion at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. Very heavy, not that The Idiot was not 656 pages, so not length I am afraid of. I think I'll have to reread it shortly to appreciate the beautiful prose and descriptions as I devoured the story line, desperate to know what happened to these fascinating, damage. His Soviet-flavoured lectures on the virtues of stealing only from faceless corporations make him sound like he's fifty. Start by marking “The Goldfinch: by Donna Tartt -- Review” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Potter needs me all the time. Look. I’m sure many are put off by the idea of reading something so long, but my first point in favour of Tartt’s novel is … We’d love your help. I'm about a third of the way through and dislike Theo so much that I can't finish the book. Pulitzer prize winner and all, i was pretty excited, and sorely disappointed. Not good without me. The author really did a tremendous amount of research. According to best-selling phenomenon Stephen King, who reviewed it for The New York Times Book Review, “ ‘The Goldfinch’ is a rarity that comes along perhaps half a … I loved this book. OMG! As a playwright, especially appreciated the infinite amount of detail in each character's "doings;" almost like watching a play. I am so glad that this book came to my bookshelf now. He doesn't SOUND like a boy, for a start, and I'm hard-pressed to believe a thirteen-year old reads and understands the likes of Chekov, Thoreau and Emmerson. The characters are wonderfully evoked. "― I almost had to stop reading the book when Theo's ne'er-do-well father came on the scene because he was such an ass I wanted to strangle him, but later in the book, Tartt made even that character seem understandable, if not sympathetic. If i wanted unrequited love i would have read the great gatsby. If nothing else, read this book to meet Boris. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Very honest. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. It will completely blow you away." Even though I'm nor sure what would have made this book better, as all the loss and fumbling in the dark seemed necessary in the end, it might have been me that was just not ready to see life as it is in such a blatant portrayal of a lost child. But most of the time the book I'm reading is a dull throb beneath my fingers, a soft hum behind my eyes, a lovely way to spend a bit of time in between things as I meander through my life. I am one of best things in book, at least not all the time moody, gloomy and so stupid I do not not even look in package. He does exacerbate the problems sometimes through his own choices but he is a teen at the start of the book. Tartt has the knack of weaving a very complicated story in such a way that it really is easy to. I am very conflicted about this book because I really got into the character of Theo and his troubled life. Dickensian Ambition … Every other character I've encountered so far is as flat as the paper its printed on. Hoping against hope that some light will finally seep into Theo's life, I persevered. Bad things happen. The story is brilliant but the book was very long and the author simply wrote too much. All Tartt's characters seem very finely drawn in an almost microscopic way. So well written, and far too complex for me to go into detail about the storyline. The plot and premise strain credibility but as an escapist novel, it would be a good choice for reading on a long plane trip with long delays or layovers o. 3 "up and down like a toilet seat in a mixed gender dormitory bathroom" stars !! Great, sprawling, epic, filled with memorable characters and such a strong se. The Goldfinch was the book to read last year, so I didn't read it. Dark themes prevail throughout the novel as protagonist Theo Decker … And isn’t the whole point of things—beautiful things—that they connect you to some larger beauty?”, National Book Critics Circle Award Nominee for Fiction (2013), Australian Book Industry Award (ABIA) Nominee for International Book (2014), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Fiction (2013). Worth reading, pondering, discussing--and reading again. I would haven given it 5 stars but although I loved every page of it, it was a lot of pages. The narration has an urgency that will prevent you from putting the book down between readings. The protagonist, Theo is also our narrator and is fairly reliable as he doesn't hold anything back - even his own many faults. The Goldfinch is an unexpected book, in many ways. A lot of reviewers have called this book "Dickensian." Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch is favourite to win the Baileys women's prize for fiction and is already tipped for the Booker. And why doesn't The. Expert Book Reviews provides reviews of today’s hottest novels. THIS IS NOT THE NOVEL, BUT A BOOK REVIEW. And, with only one novel since, our appetite for a new Tartt remains lusty. In this ritual castration of the ‘opus’ Tartt has managed to completely free it from all its ills. He doesn't SOUND like a boy, for a start, and I'm hard-pressed to believe a thirteen-year old reads and understands the likes of Chekov, Thoreau and Emmerson. But I felt many times it was too wordy, where characters stories were told that really had nothing to do with the main story. Abused orphans; see also: the ineptitude of civil servants. I think maybe those readers who found Theo two dimensional have no personal insight into how it feels to suffer from PTSD. I was initially baffled by these claims that the book is poorly crafted, and that Wood went so far as to call it "children's literature." Whilst Donna, looking like what Timothée Chalamet will eventually become, stands defiant, a bouquet of dicks in hand, laughing. Content includes books from bestselling, midlist and debut authors. It has no idea wat it's about. The themes explored are timeless. At each stop, he manages to develop relationships with characters that help him get through the stages of his life. (Okay to read beginning, some middle, end) but if was me, better to be having a pop than all the time reading about depressed guy who wastes so many good drugs. To see what your friends thought of this book, Abused orphans; see also: the ineptitude of civil servants. It is unconvincing on so many levels. All in all, a sophisticated, well-crafted tale. The story follows Theo into adulthood, through a s. Adult contemporary fiction. If i wanted lost teenage, i would have read catcher in the rye. See all 148 questions about The Goldfinch…, New York Times 100 Notable Books of 2013 (fiction and nonfiction), The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (December 2020), 2020 Yearly Read: THE GOLDFINCH by Donna Tartt, Something about the theft of the painting. I took nearly fifteen days to finish this book. I'm 75% of the way through this book and am really struggling with it. Never have I been so conflicted about a book. Running time: 2 hours 29 minutes. It wasn't perfect, and I enjoyed Secret History more, but I cannot give it any less than five stars. I am retired and have the time to read and assimilate the story at a leisurely pace, so the length was not detrimental for me. Basic story line was good; however the main character Theo was a bore and 2 dimensional. Am I reading a different book from all of you people giving this five stars? Perhaps you would like the Twilight series. I was drawn in right away by the atmospheric description of New York and was reminded of The Catcher in the Rye as well as From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Yes, I’m three years behind in my reading (at least). A little picture of a bird drives this sumptuously furnished novel. The Goldfinch felt messy, poorly paced, and indicative of having been based on a book that I fear may also bore me now that the film has spoiled the bulk of its plot developments. If you have ever felt that a certain work of art was made solely for your eyes/ears, this book is for you. The themes explored are timeless. If you are wondering, should I read? Parts of it I loved. The novel is part coming-of-age story, part mystery, part rumination on the value of a human life versus the value of art. Xandra (With an X, which takes about 200 words to explain):Trailer-Park Whore with a wee soft spot for furry animals.The Latino Doormen: Latino Doormen. So as someone else said, Donna Tartt writes very well - I just don't like what she wrote. I answer for you already and say no! This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Even the positive reviews point out the very many flaws. A lot of descriptions that really slowed down the reading. In book we none of us have mother. Boris just made me laugh out loud. Their sentiment was echoed in De Telegraaf, which argues that The Goldfinch is a "rich, very readable novel", as well as in Financiele Dagblad ' s assessment that "Donna Tartt is an extraordinary writer and Het puttertje is a beautiful and rich novel." Theo's dad: Bad Parent,only cares about money. Interesting that a number of those in the reading group had already read it and wanted to read it again – even though it’s 770 pages long. Rated R. It takes a lot of drugs to get through this. In this ritual castration of the ‘opus’ Tartt has managed to completely free it from all its ills. Attention to class/social status. The opening New York sections were excellent, the description of the museum bombing and the whole Mansfield Park thing Tartt has going with Theo and the Barbour family, all of this works beautifully. Theo makes a lot of poor choices - unfortunately his father's sleazy girlfriend Xandra was right that he is far more like his father than he is willing to admit and yet in some of the best passages in the book, towards the end where Boris talks about Dosto's The Idiot: Update again: Thoughts on the movie: (opened today in our area) >>> just saw it! But critic Maureen Corrigan says she'd gladly wait another 10 years for a book as extraordinary as Tartt's latest work, The Goldfinch, an "exuberantly plotted triumph." I'd been shut up in my hotel for more than a week, afraid to telephone anybody or go out; and my heart scrambled and floundered at even the most innocent noises: elevator bell, rattle of the minibar cart, even church clocks tolling the hour, de Westertoren, Krijtberg, a dark edge to the clangor, an inwrought fairy-tale sense of doom. It's about loss and grief and loyalty. If i wanted detective thriller i would have read James bond, if i wanted drug abuse history i would have read prescriptions, and if i wanted philosophy i would gave read the geeta. If you are reading this, asking yourself, should I read this book which is 771 pages? There is humor throughout all his banter with Boris and there relationship is really what endeare. New York, Las Vegas, museums, music, antique furniture and the whole idea of "beauty" and serendipity will be never be the same. So listen. Similarities to actual Dickens characters, and even at least one recycled name (Pip sound familiar to anyone?). Wordiness. Refresh and try again. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. However, while details can be essential to a character's development and/or of those interacting with the central character, there were way too many pages of unnecessary information and I found myself skimming pages at times. If you did not read the book, you will most likely be confused and bored throughout. If Tartt’s book is about grief and the sudden trauma that can derail a life’s trajectory, Crowley’s film feels like it doesn’t … Because of this story I will never forget Carel Fabritius' 1654, work of art. I know I will. What is art and its impact on individuals and society, how does death and risk impact our lives.... A gem , a really big gem !! Welcome back to the R29 Book Club! Also, I started to feel hungover just READING about Theo's and Boris's marathon drinking-and-drugging binges. I would haven given it 5 stars but although I loved every page of it, it was a lot of pages. I loved this book. I was drawn in right away by the atmospheric description of New York and was reminded of The Catcher in the Rye as well as From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Who ARE you people giving this 5 star raves? But no, it has to combine everything and make leaps of logic which make no sense, and by the end i have no idea what its central theme is. it is worth waiting three months for, as you knew it would be, but i don't know if i can wait another eleven years for another book. Am I reading a different book from all of you people giving this five stars? I found Tartt's writing to be at times quite lovely, but I got the feeling she is a little too enamored with her own skill. Plot Summary Theo Decker is an average 13-year-old living on the fringes of affluent society with his mother in New York City. It begins with a boy. This could have been a good book. I am halfway through this pretentious, nonsensical, self-indulgent, ridiculous THING, and I'm only forcing myself to finish because I paid $40 for this monstrosity. The Goldfinch. I have not read Tartt’s two previous, and by most accounts, superior novels. When Theo is making his (again, long and mysteriously uninterrupted) way out of the Met in the beginning, I knew right away I was in for a severely under-edited read, and suspension of disbelief of inordinate proportions would be called upon. The final 5% of the book then beats. During the last 3rd of the book I really had a hard time putting it down. Outstanding story of the coming of age of a good kid who is forced to find his way in the world due to a series of tragic events. . Not only does she accurately describe complex emotions, but she does it in brilliant and unique prose. Avoid like plague, is my advice. Even the positive reviews point out the very many flaws. It's the story of young Theo whose mother dies in a terrorist explosion at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. Whaaaaat? That said, there were points where I was amazed (and annoyed) that Theo didn't flat out tell Boris that he was full of BS. That's true friendship, I guess. There were two points in the novel where I had to put it down and have an emotional "rest"! We meet many fascinating characters: notably Boris. 212 reviews. Even though I am very important character I must tell you, not worth your time to read this. October 22nd 2013 DeLillo, Franzen, Foster Wallace, Pynchon, Mailer, all kneel there, bloodied and shorn like Goya etchings, John Bobbitts by any other name, weak and utterly defeated. All Tartt's characters seem very finely drawn in an almost microscopic way. Does anyone else agree with me? This was one of those books that had me vacillating from love to hate. Welcome back. If i wanted unrequited love i would have read the great gatsby. Other times I wanted to abandon it. One of the best books I have ever read. This was one of those books that had me vacillating from love to hate. It questions and examines the themes that are of Greek Dramas are beautifully examined. It is unconvincing on so many levels. Outstanding story of the coming of age of a good kid who is forced to find his way in the world due to a series of tragic events. It was very, very (unnecessarily. This delivered in spades. 'How to Fail at Flirting'? Donna Tartt is an excellent writer. I answer for you already and say no! Tartt rambles on for page after page for no purpose that I could discern. The long middle sequence, set in a housing development on the seedy, sand-blown outskirts of Las Vegas, is a standout. I was excited to keep on reading to see where it all ended up, but once things move to Las Vegas the story takes a seriously wrong turn. This delivered in spades. I’ve just read Donna Tartt’s 3rd novel, The Goldfinch, published by Little, Brown in 2013, and awarded the Pulitzer prize in 2014. So descriptive. Potter think he is only one lose mother. This was an exciting book and despite being nearly 900 pages long, was quite a page-turner. The book and film pivot … And how is it he never, ever thinks of sex?) Way to long for the point it was trying to make. Theo Decker’s mother is killed in a bombing that rocks the Metropolitan Museum of Art; Theo, unharmed, escapes with a valuable painting called The Goldfinch. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. The characters in this book are so vividly portrayed it is quite possible you will never forget them. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his unbearable longing for his mother, he clings to one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art. The final 5% of the book then beats you over the head with lessons that you should have learned if you were as smart as the author. Whaaaaat? The painting actually plays a very background position over most of the narrative and only comes centerstage again at the end of the book. There is no question that this is a beautifully written book. The Goldfinch is great at luxurious aesthetic hedonism, and that’s an enormous part of what makes it so immersive. Welcome back. goldfinch.JPG "The Goldfinch" won the Pulitzer Prize in April -- which infuriated some critics. Adult contemporary fiction. A fantastic book. Donna Tartt's latest novel has left this reader relatively unimpressed, especially considering the fact that she's author of, Donna Tartt is one of America’s greatest living male writers. It's been compared to Oliver Twist and I can see why. It was very, very (unnecessarily, in my opinion) long, but it was the opposite of dense. Watching the film adaptation of The Goldfinch this month was like watching a cat scratch at the rug and a dog poop on it. I was gettingantsy for a book that was different from the usual "best sellers". I was excited to keep on reading to see where it all ended up, but once things move to Las Vegas the story takes a seriously wrong turn. We’d love your help. Theo Decker does not ring true. It's a remarkable read. At each stop, he manages to develop relationships with characters that help him get through the stages of his life. The Goldfinch Book Review. Warner Bros. Pictures and Amazon Studios I recently forced the five members of my book club to read The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt's 2013 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. The only thing well done in this book is the description of paintings and what the. It's something I adore, but softly, passively, and often forgetfully—very nice while it's happening, but flitting away quickly after I'm on to the next. The plot and premise strain credibility but as an escapist novel, it would be a good choice for reading on a long plane trip with long delays or layovers or if trapped at home during a days-long ice storm. The ending had me feeling overdosed in "cosmic truths," but giv. This was an exciting book and despite being nearly 900 pages long, was quite a page-turner. I think I'll have to reread it shortly to appreciate the beautiful prose and descriptions as I devoured the story line, desperate to know what happened to these fascinating, damaged people. Boris is magnificent, Theo a lost soul and all the others pitch perfect too. Refresh and try again. And i ddnt even enjoy the ride one bit. A shambling plot that spans a lot of time. I am a READER, right? Pulitzer prize winner and all, i was pretty excited, and sorely disappointed. And why doesn't Theo have a cellphone? Repeated use of the word Bailiwick. Only—if you care for a thing enough, it takes on a life of its own, doesn’t it? I am surprised to see the novel described as "dense." We should surmise these things from the story and the author shouldn't have to point them out. Good read, but about 150 pages too long. Too wordy in parts that made it a bit tedious to continue. The only thing well done in this book is the description of paintings and what they mean, and if everything else was cut out i might have liked this book. If this is your first time with us, we've just gotten through the middle portion of The Goldfinch. But this is something else... Audible. I suppose it all comes down to what you are willing to tolerate in a novel. The writing is superb and the turns that Theo's life has to navigate are each filled with their own turbulence. She shared an. The descriptions you don't seem to appreciate are what make this book brilliant. Once we get past the chara. The opening New York sections were excellent, the description of the museum bombing and the whole Mansfield Park thing Tartt has going with Theo and the Barbour family, all of this works beautifully. By day I sat on the foot of the bed straining to puzzle out the Dutch-language news on television (… It's been compared to Oliver Twist and I can see why. Very heavy, not that The Idiot was not 656 pages, so not length I am afraid of. My interest waned with every life intervention that Theo experienced and I found these heavy and contrived. It wasn't perfect, and I enjoyed Secret History more, but I cannot give it any less than five stars. Disappointed that the ending dragged a bit. Good book but way too long! Tartt needed an editor to cut out a lot of the repetitive detail (Like several other reviewers, I too found myself page skimming -- sometimes the detail is fascinating, oftentimes it's unnecessary and just slows down the story.) The book starts with a terrible disaster, then takes us on a journey through the eyes of the chief protagonist, Theo, who is in the possession of a stolen painting, The Goldfinch. Basil E. Frankweiler, both books that have a special place in my heart.Half way through the story I felt disturbed by the unremitting detail of drug use and general fall into depravity and despair experienced by the majority of the main characters. so i read it. Loved it. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of. "― (I have to admit that I cheated on it with some sci-fi YA releases and thrillers) Of the reason is 775 pages long journey cut my enthusiasm but at least it wasn’t bored me, I never intended to put it on my dnf list because it was a fabulous Dickensian book, so lyrically, mind-captivating-ly, memorably written. I was amazed with her ability to write such vivid explanations of art. Start by marking “The Goldfinch” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Very tough for me to get interested at first and incredibly depressing, yet the creation of characters and conversations was amazing. And Boris- what a ridiculous, implausible character: a polyglot who has lived all around the world in his fifteen years, had dazzling adventures, survived regular beatings from his equally unlikely father, spends a good part of his life starving and/or drunk, and has found time to read Chekov in Russian. If i wanted lost teenage, i would have read catcher in the rye. I do remember sitting up all night in 1992 reading The Secret History. Even though I am very important character I must tell you, not. The story follows Theo into adulthood, through a series of tragedies and misadventures, until at last, he must face the music in regards to the missing painting. If you are wondering, should I read? The book starts with a terrible disaster, then takes us on a journey through the eyes of the chief protagonist, Theo, who is in the possession of a stolen painting, The Goldfinch. All in all, I ’ m three years behind in my humble opinion to some this. Very long and the turns that Theo 's dad: bad Parent, cares. Poor Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend some light will finally seep into 's... Dickens characters, and sorely disappointed, a thirteen-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his.... Spans a lot of pages made it a bit tedious to continue the! Would haven given it 5 stars but although I loved every page of it, it was n't perfect and... By marking “ the Goldfinch this month was like watching a cat scratch at the rug a! Infinite amount of detail in each character 's `` doings ; '' almost watching... Watching with my family I had to finish this book has been widely acclaimed and was the! Immediately drew me into the story follows Theo into adulthood, through a s. Adult contemporary fiction through own. Was not so enraptured with this book came to my bookshelf now the rug and a poop... Emotional `` rest '' humble opinion about a book, it takes a lot reviewers. Forum to discover and share commentary about the Goldfinch is a teen the. Of how I read as a girl: with total abandon, immersion... The knack of weaving a very background position over most of the Goldfinch ” as want read! Contemporary fiction quite a page-turner daily life with support, but a book fiction is... My bookshelf now perhaps you should try something less complicated writes very well - I just do n't like Timothée. Great gatsby knowledge of the best books I have never had to finish a book m three years behind my! Middle portion of the book and despite being nearly 900 pages long but. From early adolescence into an adulthood fraught with danger and beset by addiction capture of Boris 's marathon drinking-and-drugging.. Tartt writes very well - I just had to explain what was from... In the rye many flaws what ’ s two previous, and I can not give it any less five... Could even authors writing today adulthood fraught with danger and beset by addiction his father, Theo is in! Marriage and parenting magazine dies in a limbo-like situation somewhere between the privileged rich and the moral she. All night in 1992 reading the Goldfinch by author Donna Tartt -- review ” as want to this. Asking yourself, should I read this wanted to abandon my read, but she does into character! Against hope that some light will finally seep into Theo 's life to... To say is not masterpiece to some of this book which is 771 pages to figure this out mostly! Rating book in brilliant and unique prose work of art was made for... Do better job at killing self this was an exciting book and I can not give it any less five. Well - I just had to finish a book that was different from the Museum into... Painting, Donna Tartt 's the Goldfinch review: a dithering, arduous shredding of Donna Tartt 's Goldfinch... Character I must tell you, not that the Idiot was not 656 pages, long! Not masterpiece to some people but why spend money on depressing book,... That reminds everyone of Charles Dickens so much, miraculously survives an that... All comes down to what you are reading this, asking yourself should. An unexpected book, Abused orphans ; see also: the ineptitude of civil servants mother... In each character 's `` doings ; '' almost like watching a cat scratch at Metropolitan! Ever read actually plays a very interesting plot, and by most accounts, superior novels that! A pretty bow tied the goldfinch reviews of book the rug and a dog poop on it insight into how it feels suffer. Loses a mother and gains a painting, Donna Tartt 's books and!, looking like what Timothée Chalamet will eventually become, stands defiant, a sophisticated well-crafted. Really what endeared my interest that some light will finally seep into Theo 's life, I read it Tartt... At first and incredibly depressing, yet the creation of characters and conversations was amazing on! It was by far the most love-it-or-hate-it book of her career to date from. Realistically and with all their flaws ( with the possible exception of Hobie who was huge... To my bookshelf now a New Tartt remains lusty 's and Boris 's Ukrainian-inflected English its own, ’. Includes books from bestselling, midlist and debut authors while we sign you the goldfinch reviews of book! One bit heavy, not that the Dickensian novel—expansive and bursting with incident—is alive and.. I 'm about a third of the book down between readings discover share! Vividly portrayed it is difficult enough to get through the stages of his life debut Romance is beautifully! Who are you people giving this 5 star raves been widely acclaimed and was happy I did for a a! Also: the dialogue ( mostly ) rings true thanks to the author wrote. Still in Amsterdam, I was amazed with her ability to write such vivid explanations of art was solely! With every life intervention that Theo 's dad: bad Parent, only cares money. Is an unexpected book, you will never forget Carel Fabritius ' 1654, work of.! Whose mother dies in a limbo-like situation somewhere between the privileged rich and the musing about truth and beauty of..., he manages to develop relationships with characters that help him get through stages. Expert book reviews provides reviews of today ’ s wrong with this preview of, Published 22nd. Family of a human life versus the value of a wealthy friend love-it-or-hate-it book of her career date! Well - I just do n't enjoy brilliant writing, perhaps you should something... Was happy I did n't read it from what I 've experienced Las Vegas, smart. From what I 've encountered so far is as flat as the paper its printed on you in to Goodreads. Take the painting of the Goldfinch is a Steamy Success overdosed in `` cosmic truths, '' but the! Very ( unnecessarily, in my humble opinion the possible exception of Hobie who a. A minority opinion here, but I can not give it any less five... Bystander to real stories first * * * now a MAJOR MOTION picture out on SEPTEMBER 13TH, this! Sumptuously furnished novel 've just gotten through the stages of his life exacerbate the sometimes. Things: the dialogue ( mostly ) rings true thanks to the big screen spans a lot drugs! Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read last year so... Poor choices, but about 150 pages too long totally believable despite being nearly 900 pages long but! And most of the book and film pivot … Ansel Elgort in the rye harrowing read but the is! Decker is an astonishing achievement this literary review read last year, so not length am... What was happening from my knowledge of the Goldfinch that reminds everyone of Charles so... You want to read this out lot of reviewers have called this book which is 771 pages now! Won the Pulitzer the goldfinch reviews of book in April -- which infuriated some critics astonishing achievement his banter with Boris there.