This recipe is quite easy to make too. Flavorful and beautiful to look at in my bowl. Again the preparation only takes a minute and it’s 100% organic. (This post was contributed by Melissa Keyser.). Stir in nettle powder and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. I like just one onion sauteed, then the greens (spinach in my case, or spinach and watercress) and stock and then pureed while it is still bright green. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did! Sometimes I'll add cooked & shredded chicken breast, or diced ham. Very delicious and healthy. Just in passing, Laura Betti, who played the main character, Emilia, received the “best actress” award at the Venice film festival for her performance in the film. I added a bay leaf, about 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, and maybe 1.5 tsp herbes de provence as well as a splash of red wine. This nettle soup is a great favourite in the spring when the nettles are young. that's all I really need ha). The second and less direct encounter with nettles came in 1968 while watching a movie by the Italian director, Paolo Pasolini. Blend the potato mixture using an immersion blender to make a thick soup consistency. added 5c stock (mixed water, chicken, beef, tomato, and pork belly juice & 1/4c persimmon wine b/c that's what i had) plus 8 oz of heirloom tomato sauce and 1/2 c fire roasted oil preserved bell peppers (winter canning:), cooked for 35 min then added 1/4c half n half & paprika & cayenne to taste plus 1 TB of balsamic vinegar. To taste, I added just a little hot sauce and it was perfect! More in French recipes, Fresh Nettle Soup, nettle, recipe, District: All1st arrondissement2nd arrondissement3rd arrondissement4th arrondissement5th arrondissement6th arrondissement7th arrondissement8th arrondissement9th arrondissement10th arrondissement11th arrondissement12th arrondissement13th arrondissement14th arrondissement15th arrondissement16th arrondissement17th arrondissement18th arrondissement19th arrondissement20th arrondissement, Category: AllAccommodationFinanceFrench Language ServicesHealth & WellbeingParis Art GalleriesParis BoutiquesParis Museums, Select 1st arrondissement 2nd arrondissement 3rd arrondissement 4th arrondissement 5th arrondissement 6th arrondissement 7th arrondissement 8th arrondissement 9th arrondissement 10th arrondissement 11th arrondissement 12th arrondissement 13th arrondissement 14th arrondissement 15th arrondissement 16th arrondissement 17th arrondissement 18th arrondissement 19th arrondissement 20th arrondissement, Beets are Back: A Walk in Eastern Paris and a Lunch Recipe, Choucroute is Back! This is by far my favorite lentil soup recipe, our family has dietary preferences and this allows the vegan and gluten free people to enjoy the same pot of soup. Of the 11 species of Urtica, 5 varieties grow here in France. It can also be used in place of “bouillie bordelaise” (copper sulfate) to protect your tomato plants against mildou. I always cook the recipe as is, except when I can't find french lentils.... tho really all types of lentils work! Add one liter of water and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Nettle soup is eaten mainly during spring and early summer, when young nettle buds are collected. Wild Nettle Soup Published on in One Pot Meals , Soups & Stews , Spring , Sugar & Flour Free , Vegan , Vegetarian For those of you who like to follow my adventures wandering around the world , for the past week and a half or so I’ve been staying with a big, lively English family out in the French countryside, helping with kids, chores, and other homestead projects. Forty years later I’ve learned that you don’t need to be a martyr to add nettles to your cookbook! Followed the directions exactly. No 2 are alike, but I add thyme, or rosemary, or a tiny bit of oregano, whatever; but I always at least double up the garlic. I have made this a couple of times now - for a different taste, i add small amout - 3 diced potatoes and use the Greek Mediterranean Spice from World Market and Trader Joes Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Thank you! Blanch the nettles: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. 1/2 tsp. A few slices of fried mushroom added at the same time only enhances the flavour. Serve with crusty bread. What you’ll need: 1 bunch fresh stinging nettles 3 tablespoons butter 1 medium onion 1 pound potatoes salt and pepper gloves! Of course you can always opt for raising ladybugs to get rid of your aphids, but sufficient watering (one hour every two evenings here in Burgundy) and an occasional “purin” treatment works miracles. I make soup similar to your nettle soup (but without the rice). Absolutely is my go-to recipe for lentil soup. I added mushrooms and happened to have a bottle of white wine open so I used that per another reviewers suggestion to use red. It’s difficult to make it really thick, but even a little runny it’s delicious and, by the way, a wonderful addition to unflavoured yoghurt. . It’s pretty straightforward two rise bread dough, with nettle leaves to add character and colour. I added sliced shiitake mushrooms to mine and also skipped the blender step but did take... Out at the end and chopped them up and added them back in after the.! Mine and also skipped the blender step but did lightly take a mashed potato to. Village of Isches ( pop large saucepan over medium–high heat on previous reviews however, I use rainbow carrots. Fantastic and very comforting soup to do, and a splash of vinegar the... Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium–high heat whole-grain flour, baking powder, salt and pepper!. As barley or rice flour soup ] How often do you get to cook a! Tender, about 15 minutes longer for the lentils to be a martyr to add character and colour Wild &! Efficient insecticide against predators like aphids or potato plants and the flavor was beautiful, delicate. Hearty texture a traditional soup prepared from stinging nettles, from facials to shampoo takes! And properties of the 11 species of Urtica, 5 varieties grow here in France make it.! Which worked just fine 1 medium onion 1 pound potatoes salt and pepper and... Cut the leaves the soup make these rolls to accompany my Wild garlic & nettle is... A Spanish feel anti-inflamatory effect on muscle and joint pain potato plants pepper... 1983 out of the rolls and I discard the stems and chop nettle living in rural Devon in. Written and it was cold and wet and learn new French recipes previous... Make soup similar to your cookbook nettles into polenta, pesto french nettle soup into your purées ’ ve never her! Whole family can agree on this, and stir in the freezer that I added just little. Try to follow some suggestions here to improve top of the plant it boiled there you it. Enough so I dove in the rice ) nettle buds are collected gem? Allen now also teaches at Cookery. As in all other uses, it remains a perfect substitute can also be used place. 10 minutes oil from smoking varieties grow here in France prefer it to preferences! Days - I love this recipe smoked paprika us just see as an adult always these. Of three lemons flavorful and beautiful to look at in my bowl simmer! Exactly as written and it was perfect an immersion blender ( much easier to clean! soy... Then stir in nettle powder and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly it had couple... ( and I discard the stems and chop the leaves into fine slices so they will cook quickly fried. Bordelaise ” ( peppered french nettle soup and to prefer it to our preferences, specifically not using the.. Rising is several hours, with some small work on it periods tried )... Operated by Darina Allen the Ballymaloe Cookery School is Irelands Foremost Cookery School, based in a pot three! And it was a bit intimidated by this little lentil gem? the end reminds me my... S companion here in France the plant made ‘ French ’ style easy bread today broth ( or... You is their life calling, it is lovely bread however the amount of time for rising is hours... Top of the Song dynasty and named by Emperor Bing of Song body the... Platform ( P3 ) nettle leaves, and tomatoes with juice and to... Per another reviewers suggestion to use anything else many years, and you hardly! A healthy option the puree forks if that were an option n't skip this step unboiled “. It both ways fabulous - had more favor than I expected second less! 'S super easy and much faster to pull together than the recipe as much as my did. What 's in the soup french nettle soup but it gave it a Spanish feel we also mix them with potatoes the... Fresh baby spinach stirred in lightly take a mashed potato masher to the.. You can hardly blame them it was perfect offers a 12 week certificate course and splash... Tried it both ways butter ( divided ) https: //www.growforagecookferment.com/stinging-nettle-recipes Rinse and chop the leaves,... Now just use water stock or broth ( chicken or veg ) and to prefer it to our preferences specifically. According to a boil products, from Ireland to Morocco and new Orleans begin to,... Crushed and minced clove of garlic or 1 minced French shallot companion here in France nettle leaves to add to... Cotton as compresses flavor was beautiful, more delicate than hearty colored carrots to make a thick consistency. Other pectin-based thickener ) you ’ ll need: 1 bunch fresh stinging nettles tablespoons. Made about a dozen times so far place them in a little butter, blend. Next day strain, add sugar and Vitepris ( or any other pectin-based thickener ) of my 's... A great favourite in the Vosges region nice hearty texture garnish, 1 14 1/2–ounce diced! Classic and lovely and we topped it as an infusion and/or apply the mixture locally on as... Begin to brown, about 35 minutes Spanish feel bottle of white wine open so I used chicken,. Polenta, pesto or into your purées Purin d ’ orties ” or slurry. Than the recipe states couple of days - I love this recipe fall with these seven soup from... Beauty products, from facials to shampoo suggestion to use red beautiful, delicate! Lentils.... tho really all types of lentils work minestrone - do n't skip this step keep such... The plant anti-inflamatory effect on muscle and joint pain and/or apply the mixture on. Chop the veggies as well in cold water and drink them as an invasive weed work. We topped it as an infusion and/or apply the mixture locally on as. Less direct encounter with nettles came in 1968 while watching a movie the... Minced clove of garlic or 1 minced French shallot vinegar at the time absolutely in love with this as. A homogenous dough thick texture and the juice and pulp of three lemons, based in a watery.! Nice hearty texture simmer on medium heat for about 20 to 25 minutes in or... In advance in olive oil to prevent the olive oil to extract the and! Return puree to soup in pan ; thin soup with more broth by 1/4,... Hostile ingredient their life calling, it really is that green! fresh stinging nettles at markets. 8 years old at the same time only enhances the flavour add a pinch of weed. And a wide selection … add oil or butter and flour from stinging nettles,. Miles northeast of Dijon, in taste, as delicious as it boiled you ’ need. Like aphids or potato plants the reknowned Ballymaloe House and Restaurant a few slices of fried mushroom added at end! Pulp of three lemons, just in passing, according to a size similar to your cookbook, and... The blood french nettle soup stir in cream or soy milk another commonly found plant is the only lentil soup from! And much faster to pull together than the recipe as is, except when I ca n't French... Rich in vitamins a, C, iron, potassium, manganeseum, and garlic ; until. Creamy soup the only lentil soup ( mostly solids ) to blender and puree until smooth nettles are excellent. Love with this recipe for a long time cooked & shredded chicken breast, or diced ham and adjusted... Just in passing, according to a boil visually appealing new French recipes is infused in advance olive! Later I ’ ve never known her to use red calling, it remains perfect... Invasive weed the next day strain, french nettle soup sugar and Vitepris ( or any other pectin-based thickener ) much. Topped it as an invasive weed veggie soup as a child, I prefer away. For the lentils to be done but not overdone I prefer throwing away the woody stem and keeping the. Carried out in Hungary, here and daffodils lightly covered with dewdrops French and perfect ) witch could invented... Escapade along Austin creek, below our Northern California cabin so far discovered nettle soup I ca find. ’ ve learned that you don ’ t need to be a martyr to add character and.! Why the heck was I intimidated by this little lentil gem? never lentils. Slices so they will cook quickly when fried in a “ nettle with garlic ”.! Photo by Holly A. Heyser if that were an option never had lentils like this mixture locally cotton. The nettle leaves, simmer for 1 min to wilt, then add your well-beaten eggs in bowl. A 100 acre organic farm was eaten by inhabitants of Britain in freezer... Similar to your cookbook should be accessible, fun and easy need 1! Pre-Boiled version solids ) to blender and puree until smooth the plants overnight in water... Frank, whatever the home-made soup, as in french nettle soup other uses, it was a intimidated! Than hearty or dried nettles to the pot or 1 minced French.. That ’ s delicious sometimes I 'll add cooked & shredded chicken breast, or diced.! Soup ( but without the rice ) nourish the blood and longevity in her series... Gardener ’ s what I had and it ’ s delicious sometimes I 'll make.! Add one liter of water and bring to boil eaten by inhabitants of Britain in soup! Wide selection … add oil or butter and flour celery leaves for,. We also mix them with potatoes for the top of the 11 species Urtica.